Good food for a clean conscience
The university city of Umeå has become something of a hub for interesting, sustainable cafes and restaurants, at least in terms of the number of inhabitants and the size of the town. Gotthards marked its territory early on, wanting to be seen as both organic and local, and has succeeded relatively well at that. Some of the raw materials come from the restaurant’s own KRAV-labeled vegetable farm, which is run together with nearby Brandt’s commercial farm. The food here feels simple but well prepared — and, not least of all, affordable!
• Works extensively with small-scale producers
• Strives to reduce food waste in collaboration with a large wholesaler
• Take care of staff and help develop their skills
• Collaborates on an ambitious project with the hotel that shares the building to try and offer guests a climate-neutral stay
• Seeks organic alternatives when ingredients are not locally produced