Praising nature and the wild
Working together with Sami Tallberg, Mikko Lahtinen helped bring the restaurant Punkaharjun to an international audience. Back then, foraging and advocating for wild ingredients was a hit. And it appears to be so again with Mikko and his wife Taru’s own restaurant, SicaPelle. The 19th-century mansion, which is shared with Hotel Onni, gives a small hint of the slightly old-fashioned work taking place inside the kitchen. The dishes are down-to-earth and simple but flirt heavily with Asian cuisine. Any parts of the ingredients that are not used in the tasting menu appear in new forms for other dishes.
• Conscious use of electricity
• Seasonality of ingredients is highly prioritized
• Less popular parts of ingredients are featured
• Broken tableware is repaired
• Staff are off for all major holidays