The big picture
Teòric’s owners describe it as a “gastronomic tavern”, perhaps to capture the diversity of Catalan cuisine, which is both sophisticated and simple. Head chef Oriol Casal places great value on the relationships with farmers and suppliers, building up a network that shares his view on quality and sustainability. Like so many other restaurants in Barcelona, it isn’t easy to find sustainable seafood. At Teòric, there’s an awareness and knowledge of seafood. The result of this is, among other things, that they don’t serve tuna. But we think they could go even further and be even more selective in what fish they serve — especially saying no to trawled fish.
Photo: Pol Clapés
• Focuses on organic and locally-produced ingredients
• A menu that follows the seasons
• Actively works to reduce food waste
• Sees the whole picture; social sustainability is as important as sustainable ingredients
• Very close relations with growers and farmers